Friday, April 14, 2006

Frank Boal says eight NHL teams looking to relocate

OK, so I have little respect for local TV talking heads in the first place, but Frank Boal has now re-inforced my lack of respect.

Today, I listened to his radio show while I cut the yard on a gorgeous Good Friday in KC. He says up to eight NHL teams are looking to leave their current market.

You see, this is why I have this blog. The amount of misinformation in the KC media is astounding.

Is this guy nuts? Does he know there is a new CBA in the NHL which allows a team in ANY market to successfully compete?

I must shoot holes in this statement, quickly.
BOSTON, CHICAGO, MONTREAL, DETROIT, NY RANGERS, TORONTO = Original Six teams -- WILL NEVER MOVE

ST LOUIS, PHILADELPHIA, SAN JOSE, DALLAS, PHOENIX, MINNESOTA
, VANCOUVER, COLORADO = New Arenas or franchises that are so stable they would not move.

Teams owned by local owners (real hometown guys): OTTAWA, BUFFALO, ANAHEIM, WASHINGTON

Owners committed to their markets because they either have a sweetheart lease or own and operate the building: CAROLINA*, ATLANTA, COLUMBUS

New arena on tap: NY ISLANDERS, NEW JERSEY

Well, I'm down to six. The teams in Canada aren't moving: EDMONTON, CALGARY

That leaves these four teams: FLORIDA, PITTSBURGH, TAMPA BAY, NASHVILLE

Pittsburgh will be on or off the list by the end of this year

Where does Frank Boal come up with eight teams? I can only come up with four and I'm not familiar with Tampa Bays situation, but I'd bet they're pretty stable in that market.

2 Comments:

At 9:53 AM, Blogger Hockey Populace said...

Tampa, and Florida both are the main tennants to their fairly new arenas. They draw pretty well win or lose. I don't see em moving. Nashville has one of those sweet heart Arena deals where they get revenue from other shows that occupy their arena. I really don't know which team will move, but the radio here has speculated that the NHL wants to add two teams in the league after four years. It's all speculation though, but they are going on the notion that there are much interest in many different markets, that it would be logical.

 
At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Mike Jacobi said...

As usual, Frank Boal(and for that matter, the rest of KC sports media) has no idea what he's talking about when it's not related to the Big 12, NFL, or MLB.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home